Monday, July 20, 2009

Kelley's Island camping trip

In May Chris had a week off so we decided to go on our first camping trip of the season. We went to Kelly's Island off of Lake Erie. Taking the ferry across was one of the highlights of the trip. It was a beautiful little Island and we had a great time. The last day we got rained on and when we woke up in the morning our tent was in a puddle. At 5:00 in the morning all the kids were awake because of the lighting thunder, rain and wind. It blew over after a few hours but that was a long few hours. After that we packed up our soggy camp site and went home. Over all an awesome trip and a great place to camp even with the wet finale. One of the great things about moving every four years is all the new places we get to explore. Here is your classic cookies for breakfast while dad starts the fire.
Chris brought all our bikes on this trip and taught Laura to ride without training wheels. We also hooked up the bike trailor and rode our bikes around the Island. The bike ride was incredible and one of my favorite parts of our trip.

On the first morning we were there we went on two hikes. This wasn't much of a hike but it was cool. These are glacial grooves that are of course more impressive if you are actually there looking at them.


This picture was taken at the end of our boardwalk trail to get to the beach.
Despite the not so hot weather we still got plenty of beach time in.

I had fun sorting and orgainzing the shells we found with the kids. i think we counted them too but I don't remember how many we had. I know it was at least 200.
One thing I really like about camping here in the wimpy east is the lawn campsites and the fun kids playgrounds. At first I thought it was lame but the more kids I have and the longer I live our here the more I have become a big fan. Despite what I intially thought it is still a great camping experience without all the dirt. Somehow they still manage to get dirty even without it.

Steven's great find on the last soggy rainy morning. It kept him entertained while we were packing up.
Last but not least the Ferry Ride back to the main land. I wish I took pictures on the way over because it was a beautiful sunny day unlike this day which was not.

2 comments:

The Harrises said...

Looks like you had a lot of good, quality family time. It was nice you did it just with your family. Too bad for the rain...I noticed all of the long sleeves---I'm assuming you have been as cool as we have? Good luck unpacking. I think that is my least favorite about camping.

TP said...

Glad you had such a great time. It looks like a beautiful area!

Contributors